Monday, December 3, 2007

Questions for Dalai Lama

What is your first memory of Lhamo Döndrub or His Holiness, the Dalai Lama? I don't remember what mine was - would certainly like to hear yours! He has certainly had a strong impact on me in recent past, as has most things Buddhist.

I have seen 3 movies related to the Dalai Lama - 7 years in Tibet (may have been my first acquaintance with the Dalai Lama), Kundun and now 10 questions for the Dalai Lama. The last one was a documentary, a short one. It dealt with the same issues I have heard before; happiness, compassion, tolerance etc; subjects I have read before in "Art of Happiness" by Howard C. Cutler. So why should you consider this movie in your viewing list?

This is the first time I have heard his voice, and seen him in a talk. I have heard Bill Clinton talk - he has charisma, and made you listen. I heard George W. Bush talk, and you could hear the passion (now, I am not talking politics - just personality). The Dalai Lama has both, charisma and passion - no malice. You listen, you believe, and you laugh (reminds of you of your childhood friend who simply made you laugh!)

He spoke about conflict resolution. In a conflict, as he put it "you destroy your enemy, then you destroy yourself" - so he proposes conciliation as the way forward, not one of threats and economic sanction - something the leadership around the world should consider. There was also a mention to a concept similar to Nash's equilibrium - a way to reach a compromise. Or alternatively, during a conflict, just party since that reduces any existing "negative emotion" - where's the beer?

Not a collector's items, but worth watching - if you want to see the Dalai Lama in action.

3 comments:

Dee said...

Many years back, a friend of mine, gifted me the book "Art of Happiness"...since then I have been a huge fan!
My first memory on seeing the Dalai Lama was of profound respect.

kart said...

You've made me curious. I should get the book. I am huge believer in finding happiness in the small things in life.
Heard you were in Chicago. How did that go?

Beena said...

yes i have seen him at close range...it was after he had recvd the Nobel Peace Award...he was to be honored by the Govt of Kerala and the venue chosen was the St.Josep's Cathedral Trivandrum. Early in the morning my husband and I found ourselves there waiting to see him. I went inside the church, while my husband decided to be an "outstanding" christian! The Dalai Lama and his hefty entourage arrived on the dot...except for my husband and a few other outstanding people...there was no one to greet him. He smiled benevolently, walked in and sat in the last pew, waiting for the great politicians and so called leaders to arrive...and as usual, they took their own sweet time... i remember his smile, his serene smile his speech,his charismatic presence...
i was there!