Monday, October 15, 2007

A word that starts with I

A little lesson about me... In my high school days, while I consistently aced the Sciences and Math subjects, I was abysmal in the languages - English, French and Arabic.

So my mom thought of a remedy, her friend, who was my English teacher in elementary school. She was enlisted to teach me the nuances of English so that I may pass (yes! I failed my first - and only - English exam at high school).

This was a conversation on one occassion:

Teacher: "You are like your father. Both of you are very smart, technically very brilliant in science. However both of you lack something. The word starts with I" (PS: I am being liberal in the use of "very brilliant" - It's my blog, my prerogative)

Me: "You mean inventive?"

Teacher: "No..."

Me: "Intelligent? Ingenuity??"

Teacher: "No... No..."

I try a few more... which was good... since I actually came up with words in English. Finally all exasperated by my incompetence in English, I say:

Me: "What is it - I give up!!!"

Teacher: "Imagination"

Me: "Ahhh... yes - I lack imagination"

Hence the brevity and lack of creativity of my blogs...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come neither of us got the imagination...hmmm. Btw, I think the British system really helped your 'I'.

Beena said...

ha ha ha ha! dilip!!!!!!!!!!1
i know i am guilty of the statement here...
...the perpetrator of the crime eh?
i also said something abt leading a horse to water, didnt i ? ha ha ha ha